[ao16aprs] Re: PACSAT

Jim,

At 07:50 AM 02/04/2000 -0600, Jim Gill wrote:
> [...]

Most contemporary dual band radios have the ability to program non-standard
splits, including transmit/receive in different bands.  Even the Alinco
DJ-G1T 2 m HT, which is only a 2 m rig, will receive on 70 cm, and allow
you to program non-standard splits, including transmit/receive on different
bands.  Stock, it will not tune below 440 kHz, but there is a mod on
http://www.mods.dk which involves pressing 3 keys to "open" the receive to
include the Oscar subband.

I program non-standard pairs in my Yaesu FT50 for working AO-27 and
SO-35.  However, since neither of my HTs are full duplex, this technique
only works in half duplex rigs.

There might be an error in my logic with the Kenwood rig, since I assume
it's using separate VFOs.  My post was mostly a result of brainstorming,
where I am considering using an old Yaesu FT5100 for the pacsats.

There is a mod for 9k6 packet on the aforementioned site, and the rig has a
function called, "Alternating Band Memory Selection," where mic clicks can
select programmed memories from either band/VFO.

I think, and again I'm just brainstorming here, InstanTrack, in conjunction
with Tony's (AA2TX) InstanTune, which will operate a rig through the mic
click interface, would work for the pacsats.

Both programs are available for download from the AMSAT site, under PC
software: http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ftpsoft.html#pc.

I don't own a TMD700, and haven't had occasion to play with one either, so
I can't comment.  If you'd like to send me your's, say for a few months,
I'd play with it and get back to you!  :-)

I'm sure I'll be corrected if it's been done, but I don't think anyone has
been successful using that particular rig to effect a two-way communication
with UO-22, although Jeff, KB2WQM HAS digipeated several messages to me
through UO-22, a pacsat gateway, APRS, and into the Internet.  Several
great minds, including Jeff, are working on it.  Stay tuned.

73, Mike

                                        __\/__
  |  P  | |f|   * I.S. Professional .............. Computer Consultant *
  |  3  |=|d|   * AO10, AO27, Fujis, RS13, RS15, MIR?, SO35, UO22, ATV *
  |  D  | |j|   * KITSAT,  kf4fdj-9 van tracker, SSTV, MS,  E&F Layers *
  |     | | |   *    Bringing Oscar demos to the Lee County Schools.   *
                                   .oooO   (   )
                                     \_)

---
You are currently subscribed to ao16aprs as: lyris.ao16aprs@tapr.org