[ao16aprs] equipment required

I am going to have a shot at doing pacsat/mir APRS for an upcoming trip I
am taking (central/south america, not exactly sure yet), and after reading
through the archives, still have some questions regarding a minimal
(backpacking) rig (th-d7, gp-35, palm).

1.  Seems to be the consensus that the optimal antenna would be to take
along two, a comet 19" whip, and a 1' uhf yagi.  Wasn't able to find the 1'
uhf yagi, however.  Was this a homebrew?

2.  There was some talk on messages Oct 18/98 "new amsat mobile sat comms"
and on Nov 17/98 "9600 bd PACSAT Mobile Messages" about ideas for uplinking
AORS messages for "registered users, but it doesn't look like any progress
has been made on this yet, right?

3. Bob mentioned a mod for full duplex cross-band on the th-d7 for sat
coms, bu this doesn't seem necessary for a few beacons a day, especially
when I'd need to change antennaes anyway, correct?

Regards,

Scott
VE7OHF
scottra@usa.net