[ao16aprs] Re: equipment required

For the wilderness traveler, the best thing right now is a THD7 via MIR
using APRS mode.  But this is bent-pipe digi only.  SO unless someone is
in the same footprint and can respond or can forward, it is only going to
give you a 1500 km range...

OOPS, of course, if you have a laptop, then just logonto the MIR BBS as a
normal 1200 baud packet user and send and receive your traffic that way..

 On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Scott Anderson wrote:

> I am going to have a shot at doing pacsat/mir APRS for an upcoming trip I
> am taking (central/south america...
>
> 1.  Seems to be the consensus that the optimal antenna would be to take
> along two, a comet 19" whip, and a 1' uhf yagi.  Wasn't able to find the 1'
> uhf yagi, however.  Was this a homebrew?

Ues, 19" whip for MIR, UHF yaggi for Pacsat downlink receive only
Of course, most hams have no use for such a low gain UHF yagi, but
Cushcraft and others sell them as "commercial" antennas, so ask for their
commercial listings...  Probably 4 elements would be better if you can
make it fit in your bag...

> 2.  There was some talk on messages Oct 18/98 "new amsat mobile sat comms"
> and on Nov 17/98 "9600 bd PACSAT Mobile Messages" about ideas for uplinking
> AORS messages for "registered users, but it doesn't look like any progress
> has been made on this yet, right?

Correct.. ALl talk and no do ....

> 3. Bob mentioned a mod for full duplex cross-band on the th-d7 for sats

*** It did not work.  The one jumper mod forgot about the DCD for each
modem and all the switching needed to get around that.  We abandoned it.

---
You are currently subscribed to ao16aprs as: lyris.ao16aprs@tapr.org